A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the….

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Error Reporting Service service to connect.

 

My new and really fast laptop has been occasionally freezing all input for a long period.. maybe a minute, maybe more.. and then suddenly unfreezes and catches up. I can still move the mouse around, but no clicks and no keyboard input is accepted.

 

What the heck?

 

The error above is what I found in the event viewer after it just happened today.

 

Any solutions out there?

 

Running Windows 8 64, Dell XPS 15.

 

A big ol SSD too. Hope that’s not going out…

 

 

Update: I’ve noticed this error shows up in searches for a lot of similar errors, such as:

a timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the windows error reporting service service to connect

a timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the print spooler service to connect

a timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the file replication service to connect

a timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) vmtools

 

and also while waiting:

for a  transaction response from the VMTools service

for the Symantec Endpoint Protection service to connect

for the SQL Server Reporting Services service to connect

a transaction response from the AudioEndpointBuilder service

a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service

 

Ok so the list is too long…

CS0433 in ASP.NET

Recently had some work done in ASP.Net, but when I published the project on the server, I kept getting compiler errors- complaining about missing an object type, and spitting out a bunch of references to the asp.net temporary folders.

The first inclination is that there is junk in those temp folders, so delete them and try again. Same error.

After trying a few more things, finally found it: The project was last compiled in debug mode, but when running the “publish project”, the release option was selected. Apparently this pulled some out-of-date files from the Release folder to be published. Switching this to debug fixed the problem, and I assume switching the actual project to release mode and recompiling would have fixed things as well.

Logged here for the inevitable revisitation of this project in the future 😉