I live in an area where a ton of construction is going on, and multi-story buildings all around me wound up blocking almost all of my t-mobile cell signal. So for some time I tackled this problem the good ‘ol american way… by just grumbling about it.
Last week we mentioned the problem to T-mobile and they asked a few questions, then said they’d send a booster over to fix the signal. I’ve worked with some of these boosters before and they haven’t worked well at all, but since this was offered for free I figured why not give it a try.
It came in yesterday and installed it today. You put the “receiver” antenna box in the strongest signal part of your house (which is a room on the third floor), and turn it on. This box then communicates wirelessly to the other “hotspot” box, which you position as far away from the receiver box as you can (first floor, where the signal has been non-existent).
How’s it work? Amazingly. Now have full bars in every part of my house.
I don’t know if the other cell providers do a similar service, but it’s worth asking if you have a similar situation to mine. This technology has definitely improved since the last time I tried it some years back.
I’ve been running some cheap chinese bike lights for a couple years now. They are super bright, don’t cost much, but will also break on you so buy an extra one. They’re so cheap, you can afford to keep some extras around.
For future reference, this is a link to one of them:CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight HeadLamp 1200LM Gold
MPLS is Multi-Protocol Label Switching.
So, what is Multi-Protocol Label Switching?
I ran across this acronym recently when reading about Miscrosft Azure. MPLS can be used to create a virtual network tunnel between your intranet and the Azure network. The main benefit is that it allows packets to be forawrded at the Layer 2 (or, switching) layer instead of the Layer 3 (or routing) layer, thus is can really speed things up. It can be a big benefit when connecting two private networks together over the internet, as the lower latency and higher speeds can make the two networks perform and function more like a single local network.
Google finance tracked the AGQ “ultra silver” etf for ages, but a couple months ago suddenly messed it up. Now it has the symbol “UVXY” as the one for this ultra silver etc, but that is also incorrect- that symbol should be an etf that tracks the VIX.
I’ve tried contacting google about this, and have seen another message online where someone else did as well, but it continues to be wrong. Seems like something this major would be corrected in minutes, not months.